Thanksgiving Eve is upon us again. Every year, we see an influx of clients who made the unfortunate decision to drink and drive. Why? Well if you read our post from last year, you already know that Thanksgiving Eve is a very popular drinking night due to the amount of people home for the holidays that don't feel like cooking. From our perspective, like many that work in the legal industry, we have seen that the combination of social pressure and alcohol, which impair your judgment, oftentimes leads to poor decision making and can lead to a DUI arrest.
Many of our former clients have found themselves, on Thanksgiving Day, facing a DUI charge and an upcoming court date. Stressed? We know what you are going through and can explain to you in detail what to expect. And we have been able to help hundreds of individuals who found themselves in a similar situation. Here is our experienced recommendation if you find yourself in the unfortunate position of having been arrested for a DUI.
- First, find a highly rated lawyer to assist you through the legal process is key. Do your research online. There are hundreds of great tools that the internet provides to find a firm that focus their skills in DUI defense. Read through online reviews, client testimonials, and case results which are KEY. If the law firm you are researching isn't sharing any, there is a good chance they may not have them.
- Be realistic. Do your legal research online. You should know what offenses have you been charged with and you should know what you are up against. This research can set realistic expectations prior to speaking to a DUI lawyer.
You should interview your lawyer prior to hiring them. We believe it's a red flag in our industry if the law firm does not offer you a free initial consultation. Stay away from law firms that are looking to charge you up front before any consultations can happen. Free consultations allow you to bring in the right questions so you feel comfortable with your decision to hire. Here are some excellent questions to bring into your meeting:
- What percentage of your business is DUI related?
- How many conferences do you attend each year that are focused on DUI?
- What kind of experts do you have access to in DUI cases?
- Have you successfully won a DUI jury trial?
- Be wary of law firms over promising and offering scot free deals prior to diving into the details of your case.
- Always tell the truth when speaking to a lawyer about your case. If you want an honest response from a lawyer regarding your situation, and to hire the right person regarding your situation, misleading them will not allow them to give you the best consultation or it can lead your case in the wrong direction.
At the Marin and Barrett Law Firm, our DUI defense lawyers have decades of experience defending DUI charges, including driving under the influence of marijuana and other drugs. If you are facing a Rhode Island DUI charge, call us today to hear how we can help you fight your DUI charge. We are available 24/7 at 401-228-8271 and are open to free face-to-face in person or over the phone consultations.
There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.
Leave a Comment