Application Process: To apply, email your cover letter, resume, and references to [email protected].
The Marin and Barrett Law Firm is a highly reputable, fast-paced boutique criminal defense firm. We are a team-oriented law firm that handles all types of criminal matters ranging from misdemeanors to serious and/or violent felonies throughout Rhode Island. We are rapidly growing and seeking a highly motivated Associate Attorney to handle their own caseload which includes arraignments, pre-trial readiness conferences, preliminary hearings, pre-trial motions, sentencing hearings, probation violations, TRO hearings/bench trials, jury trials, etc. The Associate Attorney Applicant must be licensed to practice in Rhode Island with 1+ years of experience.
- Attend court hearings or other legal proceedings, perform legal research, and work with senior associate attorneys to provide legal advice
- Maintain client files in an organized fashion to ensure up-to-date information is handy for other attorneys
- Prepare for and attend arraignments, pre-trial conferences, probation violations, sentencings, etc.
- Effectively litigate pre-trial hearings and motions
- Negotiate plea bargains or negotiated dispositions at misdemeanor and felony pre-trial conferences
- Prepare for and assist senior attorneys in trial preparation. Opportunity to first chair and/or second chair trials dependent upon experience and skill level
- Counsel clients as to their legal defenses, constitutional rights, and strategies with respect to their cases; consistently communicate with clients as to the status of their case
- Conduct research and draft pleadings, briefs, discovery requests and responses, and motions
- Conduct hearings at the Rhode Island Traffic Tribunal for DUI cases
- Candidate should have excellent verbal and writing skills, have experience in courtroom setting with bench trials, and be comfortable in court
- Candidate must have have excellent ethics and understand that our clients expect great hard work and great results
- Must be licensed to practice in Rhode Island with 1+ years of experience
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.) degree required from an accredited law school
- Applicants with criminal prosecution or defense experience, such as district attorney or public defender, are encouraged to apply
- Candidate should have excellent verbal and writing skills, have experience in courtroom setting with jury trials, and be comfortable in court
- Active member in good standing and no disciplinary record with the State Bar
- Must have an outstanding command of the courtroom; must project confidence and competence when engaging with clients and opposing counsel
- Must be able to empathize with clients, and provide excellent customer service
- Verbal communication skills are critical, along with time management and interpersonal skills
- Attorney will report and work out of our Cranston, RI office.
Perks – A few benefits you're sure to enjoy:
- Salary based on prior experience and incentive bonus based on KPIs.
- 401(k) with firm matching.
- Health and dental insurance
- Paid Time Off (PTO)